Saturday 30 June 2012

Fabric Memory Game Tutorial

Are you in need of a quick sewing project to use up some scraps in your stash?  This fabric memory game fits the bill and is perfect as a gift for little ones of any age.  

If you find the right fabric, you can make an applique game like this.


Or just use different fabric squares to create a memory game like this.

Once they're complete, whip up a couple of clear vinyl bags using this tutorial and you're ready to give a unique gift that can be used over and over again.

This tutorial goes into detail on how to make the scrappy version but it's the same process for the appliqué version.  You just need to appliqué your pictures onto each plain front square instead of cutting matching scrappy squares.

Before I start, I should mention that I have used a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  I use this size on all my craft projects to give me a little room for error.  Hey, I'm not perfect;-)

Supplies
Backing fabric (this needs to be a solid color or a simple print so each square looks exactly the same)
Different fabric scraps for the front.  I made 16 squares so used 8 different fabrics.
Batting to give the cards some strength (I had run out of batting so used polar fleece instead)
Other basic sewing supplies

The Fun
Start by cutting out all your pieces, I used a 5 X 5 inch square.  For this game, I made 16 squares so I obviously cut 16 backing squares, 16 pieces of polar fleece and 2 X 8 squares for the front of my cards.

Now layer the squares like a sandwich with right sides of your fabric together and polar fleece on top.

Pin all the way around.  (I flipped my sandwich over before I pinned.)

Stitch around the outside using a 1/2 inch seam allowance but make sure you leave an opening on one side for turning through.

Cut the corners and trim the seam allowance to about 1/4 inch on all sides except for the one with the opening.  If you look closely, you can see my stitching line and the opening with the larger seam allowance untrimmed.

Turn through, making sure you push the corners out well and press.  (Excuse the state of my ironing board.)

Now top stitch around the outside of the whole square, stitching the opening closed in the process.  (Sorry about the change of fabric, it is the same game, just a different square.)

Repeat the process for the other squares and you have a fabulous memory game.  You can make it as simple or as difficult as you like and it's perfect for little ones as the cards are durable and can be thrown in the wash if they get dirty.


No comments:

Post a Comment